Thursday 7 June 2012

Disaster Strikes!

So I really have to apologise in advance for this one. This is going to be a massive whinging post, and my thoughts will probably be a bit scattered. Here's what my nails look like now:


Yea I know. Totally unexciting. Studying for exams results in a lack of time for exciting nails. However, I did get a chance to use my new matte topcoat. I'm not totally convinced. Guess that's what I get for buying a cheap $4 one. I'll look out for a better one, because I want to give the matte look a fair go.

Anyway I guess you're wondering why this is a disaster. Well here's what my nails looked like 12 hours ago:


Note the massive chunk missing out of the polish on my thumb. This post was SUPPOSED to be a tutorial. I guess someone out there had other ideas for me. This wasn't the design I was meaning to show you either. So here's what went wrong:

  • Everything was going FINE. Until I dropped the brush. It landed on my pants.
  • In an attempt to salvage my pants (which are now fine by the way), I managed to screw up the polish on a couple of my nails. I had to take the polish off those nails completely and start again.
  • While starting again on said nails, I managed to screw up the tips on 2 or 3 more. This just ended up resulting in a lumpy mess on 50% of my nails. No biggie, I figured my top coat would smooth this out.
  • The design I was supposed to show you didn't go according to plan. I had seen a technique somewhere for making your own 'stickers' by painting your polish onto sellotape and then cutting the tape into shapes once the polish had dried. Maybe I did it wrong, or maybe I just used a terrible polish, but the 'stickers' were completely unflexible and wouldn't mould to my nail. I'll give the technique a go some other time before disregarding it completely.
  • So what did I do? I took my cheap Ulta3 gold glitter and painted a diagonal line on all my nails. Yep, fine, not exciting but I needed to do more study so figured it would do.  
  • I guess my fast drying top coat wasn't a fan of the cheap gold glitter polish. An hour later when I went to bed part of the glitter polish literally slid off my thumbnail when I accidently touched it against something a little harder than I should have. My top coat usually takes 15mins TOPS to dry.

So the above photo is what I had when I woke up this morning. Obviously, I took it all off. But what's that? Just to put the cherry on the cake, my nails are now stained pink. But ONLY WHERE THE GLITTER POLISH WAS. How does that even make sense? Sigh.

Anyway, it's all better now. I'm sorry this didn't turn out to be a tutorial like I'd had planned. And sorry for the whinging. Study makes me go a bit insane.

Also, this was the first time I tried Revlon polishes and I wanted to tell you about them. But I might save that for another time. I will say though, that if you're a fan of Revlon polishes and you live in Australia then to get your butt down to Myer's stocktake sale. They have 30% off full priced bottles, plus a bunch of bottles that are on clearance too. I got 3 bottles for less than $15, including one that wasn't clearance.

So that's it for now. My first exam is on Saturday morning, so I won't be posting again before then, but hopefully over the weekend or Monday I'll have the time to do another design/post. No promises though.

PS...The polishes in my photos are 'Girly' and 'Sublime Strawberry' by Revlon. I recommend them both. The matte topcoat I have is by BYS. I don't recommend that. Also I don't recommend the gold glitter polish by Ulta3. The silver one I used in my last post was fine, but the gold is super gloopy and my top coat didn't like it. Blerrrrr...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Love it? Hate it? I want to hear about it!
Have questions? Ask away!

Please note though that I will delete comments that aren't relevant (*cough* self-promotion *cough*). Thanks for understanding :)