Saturday 2 June 2012

Winter Freeze

Yesterday marked the first day of Winter here in Australia, and while it doesn't snow where I live it can still get pretty cold (by my prissy standards anyway), so I wanted to do something Winter inspired. I have to say, I had absolutely NO IDEA where this design was headed, I just knew I wanted to use blue and white for a snowy theme. I didn't want to be so literal as to draw snowflakes, so I pulled out the sponges again in the hope that if I just started dabbing at my nails with them something magical would happen. Well here's what happened:


I don't know if I'd call it a 'snowy' effect as such, but it does look kind of chilly. I used OPI's 'Peace Baby!' (white), 'No Room For The Blues' (blue), and Ulta3's appropriately named 'Silver Glitter'. Original. Yes, I went and bought a couple more $2 bottles of Ulta3 from Big W. I probably wouldn't buy them on a regular basis, but I figured for something like a basic glitter it's not going to hurt me to have a $2 bottle rather than a $20 OPI bottle. (Yes, OPI costs between $20 and $25 per bottle in Australia. It pains me when Americans whinge about it being $10 a bottle there).

P.S. Yes my nails are shorter than usual :( The cold weather has made them a bit brittle, so after a couple broke I just cut them all down to match.

Step 1: After applying your protective base coat, apply 1 or 2 coats of your white nail polish. It doesn't need to be perfect, you're going to be covering the majority of it anyway.


Step 2: Put a small amount of blue nail polish on to a bit of scrap paper or something similar. Taking your sponge (I use eye shadow applicators, but any sponge will work), gently dab the polish on to your nail randomly. Make some parts darker than others and leave other parts of your nail untouched. Repeat this step with your white polish. Keep dabbing at your nail alternating the two colours until you're happy with the effect. Once you're happy use some nail polish remover the clean up the area around your nail. Don't worry about the spongy indents at this point, your top coat will smooth these out.


Step 3: Taking a fine silver glitter polish, put a thin coat over your whole nail. Apply your clear top coat and you're finished.


Super easy! And if you screw up no one has to know because it's a random application of colour anyway :)

My university exams start in a week, so I'm not sure how much time I'll get for my nail art in the next few weeks while I'm studying, but I'll do my best to keep posting for you :) Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Love it? Hate it? I want to hear about it!
Have questions? Ask away!

Please note though that I will delete comments that aren't relevant (*cough* self-promotion *cough*). Thanks for understanding :)